Sunday, February 10, 2013

Paleo and kids

I'm a little frustrated right now.  I realized today that you don't ask non- fitness minded people for advice in feeding your children - it just won't work. (-:  As amazing as these awesome women are, assumptions run rampant, especially when you are a crazy crossfitter. 

1st thing, Paleo does not = low carb.  HUGE assumption.  If I'm eating Paleo to lose weight, yeah, I'm going to limit the carbs (which you should if you want the scale to drop no matter HOW you're eating), but for eating Paleo as a lifestyle, I eat a LOT of fruit, nuts, nut flours, baked goods, milk and yogurt (so not so much paleo).  I also use good ole' chemical laden coffeemate in the copious amounts of coffee I consume.  I don't track my food or obsess over what I can and can't have (who had time for that??) but I'm certain I consume as much sugar and carbs as any other normal weight person who pays attention to what they're eating.  I fuel some significant workouts  and stay satisfied.  I also cheat sometimes, because I have genes that allow me to.    But, when I'm buying food for my family, I choose non processed, naturally gluten free food.

2nd thing, my kids don't eat paleo as a rule, but we don't go out of our way to give them food with no value whatsoever.  Fruit roll ups, pop tarts,  buttered microwave popcorn, capri suns, gold fish (even organic!), flavored water.....what's the point?  They are gone in a second, and they don't keep bellies full.  Nuts, Lara Bars, Fruit with nut butters, etc - those keep bellies full and nourish growing bodies.  My kids are SOLID children.  They are built like their dad, and need calories that do something for them. They also play hard -they crossfit and do gymnastics.  They play outside, they ride bikes and scooters, and when their favorite sport seasons come around, they play sports. 

But, they are also kids.  And kids like junk.  And kids feel deprived without it, especially when their friends are all bringing junk to school.  So, when there is junk around, they want it, and they want as much as they can get.    So, what to do?  Where is the balance?  We do give lots of treats - lots of dinners out where they eat whatever they choose, and we tend to have ice cream out  once a week, and Jamba Juice  after a trying "workout".  Overall, they are getting plenty of treats, even if that's not what they find in their afterschool snacks.  But the parts seem to be more than the total in this case.  

Anyway, I just needed to get that out.  Right now, I'm thinking of baking a lot more paleo goodies to offer as snacks - that way they are getting the "junk" they want, but I know it's nutritionally sound, and will keep their bellies full for more than 5 minutes.  I certainly prefer they choose an apple over a paleo cookie but  I don't....(-:


No comments:

Post a Comment