Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Prodigal Pansy Returns

Ummm...hi there. Remember me? Yeah.

I am pulling a Julie Foucher and saying I took the school year off to focus on grad school.  Truth is, that (and work, and family) was where my time and energy was going and there simply weren't enough hours in the day.

That said, I haven't been just sitting around.  So, before I resume posting about where I am now, what I'm working on, etc, you're going to get a long drawn out update.  Grab a glass of water, a paleo snack, sit back, and enjoy.

July - December  


Work.  Work, work, and more work.  And grad school, and an emerging leaders program, and three little people.  I may have made it to the box an average of 1.5 times a week.  Kind of close to just sitting around.

January - February


Oh, what? The Open is in two months?!?  Guess I better workout a little.  And why not sign up for a half marathon too, just for fun?  There were lots of tears left on the floor of the box as I found out that a few months off ruined over a year's worth of work.   I was in shock at how much I'd lost, and really, still in August, haven't quite regained.  But, I was determined, and by February 27th,  I was ready to "survive" the  2014 Crossfit Open.

14.5
To be forever known as the worst 20 plus minutes of my life thus far. And my motivating achievement when I'm facing an impossible task.
  *Thank you Kate Ikahihifo for the great photos!*

Knowing 2014 would be marked by maintenance as opposed to growth, I used the chest-to-bar pull ups as my benchmark.  Two in 2013 to three (so said the guy whose job it was to watch my boobs - I only felt 2, but really, he's probably the expert) in 2014.  I felt I had some solid workouts, I could do everything, minus the muscle ups.  I tried to not be disappointed by a year of no upward progress. It is what it is, right?  Despite the significant drop in "place",  I'd say it was a pretty equal performance percentile wise. 

2013 and 2014 Northern California Region Open Results

2014 - 1340th Place
2013  - 993rd Place 



Oh! And this happened in January






My Crossfit Kids classmates and I  were also privy to an extensive speech from Greg Glassman on the horrors of sports drinks. I have to say I appreciate his view on fitness more so than his speaking ability.  But, it was still pretty awesome to get to meet/see these guys in person.   

March - April 


Meanwhile, that whole half-marathon thing.   I wish I'd really tracked my "training, if for nothing else but comic relief.  Up until the end of the Open (two weeks prior to the race) my weekly training consisted of Crossfit and one long run (or row on the Concept 2) depending on my ability to get out the door.  Pretty sure this breaks every endurance running rule there is. But goes to show the functionality of Crossfit in overall fitness.

Alas, this somehow led to rowing a half-marathon, Crossfit Games 2013 style. While I don't really think of myself as a "good rower", my time of 1:41 apparently isn't super shabby (DO NOT MENTION THAT THESE LADIES HAD ALREADY DONE ONE GAMES CALIBER WORKOUT!)

2013 Crossfit Games Half-Marathon Row Results - Column 3
Yes, I finished my half-marathon row 2 minutes behind the 2014 Fittest Woman On Earth.

And then on April 13th, the Hapalua Half Marathon run!

This was mile 10, post disgusting uphill climb, during which I repeated, I did 14.5, I can do this, over and over and over again.
Official Time - 2:03:06

April - May


Back to busyness. April and May marked some pretty big changes in my life.  Namely, location!  We moved from Honolulu, Hawaii to just outside of Fayetteville, North Carolina.  April and May were full of packing and traveling, and once or twice a week runs and Crossfit wods.  I did manage to squeeze a snatch PR in there somewhere (90#s).  And  some solid double unders came out of nowhere.  

Then came summer


We'll call it the summer of running!  

50 miles in June, and 60 miles in July.  North Carolina brings with it the addition of hills, and trail running, which have really pushed my resolve...and my calf muscles, ugh.   I've also found a local box, and gave myself until my birthday (July 31st) to work back into the lifting before I start pushing the weights any.  My back thanks me.







Which brings us to today - August 2nd


If you actually made it through that update, I am humbled and apologize for taking so much of your time.  But I wanted to document the year - it's accomplishments, and it's challenges.  Because maybe someone else needs to see that a little detour doesn't have to mean you can't recover.  And, I need to remember to keep fitness, and the joy it brings me, as a schedule rock.  

What's next, aka, goals, and accountability


There was a point when I was actually getting kind of good at Crossfit.  At least for a not so strong person.  I'd like to be there, only better, again.   I know the other goals below won't be super conducive to building "strength" but I should be able to make some significant body weight/skill progress.  I guess the "data" on how this goes will come with the Open.  Sub 1000th place is my goal.  Really, sub 800th, based on where I would have placed in my new region.  

I've GOT to get this stupid strict pull up.  I was so close. and then this move killed me.  I've started working on a program one of my 808 coaches gave me.  4 weeks is the goal.  I'm also doing an absurd month of burpees challenge, 500 per week.  Did a 100 benchmark today - 4:19 for 50, 77 in 7 minutes, and 10:14 for 100.  August 31st I'll update on both of these.

I'm running a marathon in November.  I enjoy running.  And I really enjoy long runs.  For those who know me in person, it should come as no surprise that I am NEVER just doing one thing at a time.  Running gives me the opportunity to slow down.  Training for a marathon makes me feel like I'm doing something productive with that "down time".   No goal time.  Just to enjoy my five plus hour run through Raleigh, City of Oaks. 

In the process of running a marathon, there's a good chance I'll also row one.  No goal time.  And really, when I think of this, all I can think of are the blisters.  Whew.

Finally, I am aiming to shadow some of the coaches at the box. I'm already helping a little with the Crossfit Kids class, and I really want to feel confident with coaching teens so I can begin working on the counseling/crossfit combo I have running around in my head.  


So there you have it.  My last year in a (big) nutshell.  I'm typically good with goals, and since I'm sharing this here, I have a little accountability.  So in true Crossfit fashion...


...3, 2, 1...Go!





No comments:

Post a Comment