Sunday, January 8, 2012

Crockpot Paleo

I'm finding my saving grace these days to be my slow cooker (aka Crockpot).  It is chugging away as we "speak" with a version of this Pot Roast .   I'll have to let you know how it turns out.

I have also made Salsa Chicken, using a package of chicken legs, a package of chicken thighs and most of a jar of both Tomatillo salsa, and Medium Pace Picante sauce.  It turned out really yummy, though it is much better to plan to eat it as shredded chicken because it falls apart coming out of the pot.
I had bought that chicken for Danica's Spicy Shredded Chicken , because I had some sauce left in the freezer, but I ended up just trying to get rid of the jarred stuff instead.  I'd expect this on the menu soon though.   I think it was one of the first times I've cooked chicken that wasn't boneless skinless whatever....I have a thing against bone in chicken, however, the cost of eating Paleo requires desperate measures!  

I made this Machaca Beef after seeing it on Man vs. Food, and it was pretty good.  Not stellar, but I didn't have time to let it reduce at the end and I bet that made a huge difference.  Next time.

These dishes got me through the week, however, I will confess, the weekend was no holds barred.  I was  weak - no, I wasn't weak, I just plain didn't even try to do anything other than eat.   I'm almost hoping for the same detox process as last week just to teach me a lesson.  We'll see.   Next weekend, I must have a PLAN.  Or, no money to eat out.  That would help too.

One thing on the menu for certain is Buffalo Chicken.  EVERY single time I get on track, I start to crave Boneless Wings.  I make a great Buffalo Chicken Breast, using Franks and coconut oil instead of butter.   It really rivals Boneless wings in flavor, but it's just not the same as going out to get some.   I'm learning, if I wait until I am wanting something to plan, I will NEVER want anything made at home, so I rely on the slow cooker to help with that.  I found this option for Crockpot Buffalo Wings at Civilized Caveman,, and will use coconut oil instead of butter, and let you know how it goes.

I did Spin yesterday for the first time, with my Boot Camp instructor as the leader.  It was fun, but not OMG I can't WAIT to go back kind of fun.  Tomorrow is Crossfit (woohoo!) and Boot Camp resumes on Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy

    Hmmm, maybe this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the spicy chicken would work with boneless skinless chicken breasts? I just bought 4 bags of it on sale. I know sometimes the dark meat is needed.

    Also, do you do it in the crockpot or the stove? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candi, I have made it that way, and it was great. THat's actually typically how I make it.

    I made it on the stove, but next time, I'll do crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I'll have to pick up a few things to make it.

    ReplyDelete